Saturday, July 19, 2014

Is This MCM?

Big discussion on one of my FB MCM pages about what belongs in the group. That particular group is supposed to be about mid-century design -- mainly architecture and furniture design, but sometimes fabrics, cars, appliances, pottery, etc. -- and not about "I found this at a thrift store for $20 bucks!!! Is it MCM?" Or, "Can you believe this? I found this Broyhill Brasilia hutch ... in a DUMPSTER!" "This is on my local Craigslist for $20. Is it worth it? Should I buy it? Is it even MCM?"

I pretty much know what's MCM because I was alive in the fifties and sixties, and I remember it. But a lot of enthusiasts are from later generations, and they simply don't know.  Simply wanting to learn, though, is different from a thriftshop/resale shop entrepreneur needing to know whether they can describe their merchandise as MCM (it is, after all, a craze, now) and the most they can ask for it.

Anyway, what follows is MCM -- at least, in design style. I posted this in two of my MCM groups and got some great (positive) feedback:

I'm thinking of building this, unless I happen to get extremely lucky and find a $2,000 MCM credenza with a few scratches on it in a dumpster somewhere...
We had a nice discussion here several weeks ago about building furniture and it's been on my mind since then. This looks a little clunky instead of sleek and beautifully balanced... but that's what you get with an amateur project. At least it'll hold stuff....
Here are the dimensions. I drew this first, then used it to photoshop the "finished" console shown above.
I can make pretty much the whole thing, except for the brace across the bottom and the tapered legs (which I already have) from a single sheet of 3/4 inch cabinet grade plywood. Will need 3/4 inch pine or MDF for the drawer interiors and 1/4 inch pine for the drawer bottoms and the cabinet back.

Finally, something for my room full of power tools to do besides gather dust!

I don't know when I'll be able to get to it. I have waaaay too many irons in waaaay to many fires right now. Alas.

But isn't it sweet?

No comments:

Post a Comment